Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau

< Back To Results

Bell Street Chapel

  • 5 Bell Street
  • Providence, RI 02903
Overview

Providence’s exquisite French neo-classical temple, the Bell Street Chapel, was built in 1875 for art dealer James Eddy after a design by storied Providence architect William R. Walker. Eddy dedicated his church “to God, to Truth, and to all that ennobles Humanity,” but he could find no one to lead a congregation according to his religious vision. After Eddy’s death in 1889, reformer and activist Anna Garlin Spencer organized an intellectual, crusading church here and was Rhode Island’s first female ordained minister. Today’s Unitarian Universalist congregation continues the fight for social justice with Reverend Margaret Weis at its helm.