Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau

< Back To Results

Custom House

  • 24 Weybosset Street
  • Providence, RI 02903
Overview

A historic symbol of industry and the role of the river in shaping the economy, the Custom House was completed in 1857. It was home to the Federal District Court, Post Office, IRS, Steamboat Inspection and U.S. Customs. The building, occupied by the Federal Government through 1989, was converted to office space for the State Court Systems in 1992 as the John E. Fogarty Judicial Complex. This building is the centerpiece of the Custom House Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including eight additional buildings associated with the growth of Providence as a business center in the mid-to-late 19th century.