As executive chef, Martin Lyons is responsible for providing an unparalleled farm-to-table culinary experience for guests, using the best fresh, local ingredients whenever possible.
Prior to joining XO, Marty worked in some of the top restaurants in the capital city, most recently at Loie Fuller’s. Before that, he was sous chef at the acclaimed Nick’s on Broadway, where he was responsible for all aspects of kitchen management, including staff management and seasonal menu development. Prior to Nick’s, Martin was sous chef at L’Epicureo, the former AAA Four Diamond Restaurant in the Hotel Providence, where he supervised the kitchen and bake shop.
Marty holds an associate degree in Occupational Studies in Culinary Arts from SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology and an Associate of Science in Food and Beverage Management and Bachelor of Science in Service Management from Johnson & Wales University in Providence.
Rhubarb Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1 cup rhubarb, red parts only, diced
1 shallot, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 sprig of mint, leaves only, chopped
½ cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1. In a blender combine the first 9 ingredients and puree thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
2. With the blender running, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture until vinaigrette is emulsified.
3. Check vinaigrette for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Shaved Asparagus Salad Ingredients:
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and sliced
6 radishes (mixed varieties), trimmed and sliced
2 ounces cubed feta cheese
2 ounces pea tendrils
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler, thinly shave asparagus and radishes lengthwise.
2. Place asparagus and radishes in a mixing bowl and lightly toss with dressing.
3. Arrange dressed vegetables on a chilled plate; garnish with pea tendrils and feta cheese.
4. Spoon extra dressing onto plate and finish with cracked black pepper.