WaterFire is wrapping up another successful season with a full lighting on Saturday, Nov. 4, honoring our veterans. Comprised of a series of bonfires installed on downtown’s three rivers, WaterFire combines music, aromatic wood smoke and crackling firelight to create an enchanting atmosphere. This fifth annual WaterFire Salute to Veterans is a community-wide celebration, the largest of its kind in the area, dedicated to honoring veterans, active and reserve military personnel, and their families.
This WaterFire includes activities and initiatives celebrating and thanking all of Rhode Island's veterans, as well as current members of all branches of the military, for the sacrifices they have made for our country. The evening includes tributes, special performances and concerts, including:
● Opening festivities will feature a speaking program at the RI State House, a color guard, and a 200-person torch procession and a salute with war veterans from all military branches.
● The American flag will be displayed in grand scale and the night kicks off with a performance of the Star Spangled Banner, followed by a large-scale concert performed by the Governor’s Own Army 88th Band and the Navy Northeast Band.
● A Veterans Resource Fair on Washington Street will include various veterans groups, interactive displays and resources for veterans and their families.
● Memorial Park will host a field of blue stars, dedicated in appreciation of our veterans and military families. The public may add messages of thanks for our veterans, illuminated by luminaria candle lanterns.
● A memorial canoe ceremony will honor veterans who have passed away, with the canoe gliding through the installation in honor of our fallen soldiers.
Become a part of the celebration by sponsoring a brazier in honor of a veteran. Find out more here.