GoProvidence.com and the Providence Journal bring you Small Bites: Easy-to-Digest Recipes. Joe Simone from Simone's is bringing us a delicious recipe for steamed mussels with shallots and crème fraîche. This dish is perfect for the spring! Watch the video and see the full recipe below.
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH SHALLOTS AND CRÈME FRAÎCHE
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon scallions, chopped
- 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche (see note)
- Pinch kosher salt, to taste
Carefully wash the mussels.
Add the olive oil, chopped shallots, garlic and mussels to a wide sauté pan; cover and set over medium-high heat.
Cook and stir the pan for 3-4 minutes until the mussels begin to open.
Add the scallions, lemon juice and white wine and continue cooking and stirring for 30 seconds to meld the flavors.
Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Cook until the mussels are fully open. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
Swirl in the crème fraiche, taste for seasoning and serve hot with crusty bread.
Makes 2 large or 4 small servings.
- You can buy crème fraîche prepared in any grocery store's dairy case.
- Look for nice, clean shells. You don't want to have to clean the clinging bits, or beard, on the mussels.
Some Extra Tips:
- Pick dark and gleaming or glossy shells.
- Only cook with mussels that are closed tight. That means they are alive. If you tap an open one and it closes quickly, that is equally fine.