Buy Local RI gives five good reasons:
- Support good jobs. Small local businesses are Rhode Island’s largest employer. Local small business is the greatest source of job creation.
- Keep your money in the Rhode Island economy longer. Local businesses keep your money here longer, investing in local supplies, wages, services and community donations. This strengthens Rhode Island’s economic and tax base. A study found that $100 spent at a local store produced $57 worth of local economic activity, while $100 at a national chain keeps only $13 local. (Source: Civic Economic)
- Shape the character of our community. Where we shop, where we eat and have fun — all of it makes our community home. Our one-of-a-kind businesses make up Rhode Island’s distinctive character. Spend local and embrace our unique identity.
- Feel good about your purchases. Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community and are invested in the community’s future. By getting to know them, you build trust and a connection to your neighbors. Plus, local businesses often take more time to get to know customers, meaning better service for you.
- Reduce environmental impact. Locally owned businesses make more local purchases — meaning less transportation, lower energy and fuel costs, and less excessive packaging.
This holiday season, proclaim your support for local business loudly, using #buylocalri.
Make this holiday season special by visiting festive strolls, events and markets happening Learn More ›