Ashbel T. Wall established a company for the production of gold-plated wire in rented quarters on Sabin Street in 1888. In 1908, Wall was ready to enlarge his operation and commissioned Bowerman Brothers of Boston to design a new manufacturing building. The four-story reinforced concrete structure with a flat roof and large windows represents an important milestone in the history of modern architecture. It is one of the earliest known examples of a reinforced concrete construction employing the mushroom-column-and-flat-slab technique. This mode of construction, developed by the American Engineer C.A.P. Turner in 1905–06 and patented in 1908, allowed for a freer floor plan than the traditional beam-and-column structure.