The wood and coal stoves produced by Amos Chafee Barstow in his Point Street foundry starting in 1849 were immensely successful and won several national awards, as well as a medal of merit at the 1873 Vienna World’s Fair. Before the end of the century the company was the largest stove company in New England, employing 200 workers and offering 50 different kinds of stoves. The Barstow Stove Factory filled the entire 2 ½-acre plot. The three brick buildings remaining today are: the oldest, gable-roofed structure of 1849 with a clerestory monitor; east of this, a four-story structure from 1855; and a later structure at the corner of Point and Richmond streets. The company failed in 1930.