Books Are Wings volunteers have a direct impact on the life of a child by showing them that reading is fun. We donate FREE books to children all across Rhode Island through our Book Parties, held at libraries, schools, daycare centers, community centers and after school programs. Our Book Parties emphasize the joy of reading while focusing on a key concept in children’s literacy — that choosing your own book fosters a greater motivation to read.
Here is how you can help:
1. Book Parties: Book party volunteers may assist children in selecting books to take home, read a story aloud, and even lead a small craft project.
2. Book Drive: Some volunteers choose to host a book drive in their community to collect new or gently used books.
3. Book Collection: Help collect donated books at our donation sites around Rhode Island and deliver them to our storage facility.
4. Book Sorting: Help sort donated books at our storage facility on the first Saturday of every month, making it easy to ensure that all books at book parties match the age level of the children.
5. Fundraising: Assist in our fundraising efforts by volunteering at a fundraising event, hosting a fundraiser of your own, or donating items for our annual silent auction.
6. Sponsorship: Sponsor a book party in any of our target cities.