At its opening in 1926, the Columbus Theatre was touted as “a testimonial to the Italian people.” The late Beaux-Arts Theatre was built, designed and decorated by Italians. The theatre is named for the famous Italian explorer and has 1,492 seats. Elaborate murals by George DeFelice make this a rare and virtually intact showplace. The theatre was equipped for movies and vaudeville at its opening, but struggled with changes in its audience and neighborhood. Reopened in 2012 as a music cooperative, the Columbus has become one of the hottest live-music venues in town.