In 1889, Bishop Giovanni Battista Scalabrini sent missionaries to Providence to form Holy Ghost parish and serve the spiritual and physical needs of the growing Italian community here. By 1909, this Italian Romanesque church was completed. Father Flaminio Parenti, the “Shepherd of Federal Hill,” led the flock from 1922 to 1964 and continued the beautification of the church. The work of the Scalabrinian missionaries continues today as a lay organization, the Scalabrini Dukcevich Center, which provides support to all those in need. While immigrants from Latin America have joined the congregation and breathed new life into old traditions, Holy Ghost remains the “Mother Church” of the Italian diaspora in Rhode Island.