Charles Irons and Charles Russell, manufacturers of pins and charms, commissioned the building in 1903–04 from the prominent local architects Martin & Hall. The building consists of six stories with a flat roof, a bent-horseshoe plan, and a brick facade with “corbeled” cornices — a unified and striking exterior. The prominent brown stone entrance carries the company’s name. It was one of the city’s first fully electrically powered industrial structures. In 2017–18, the Providence firm Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels turned the building into lofts, and in the process, carefully restored its historical details, such as the ornate birdcage elevator and terrazzo tiles.