James C. Doran and his sons James and Joseph, who specialized in jewelry findings (also umbrella fittings, collar buttons, emblem findings, box-settings, and a joint-and-catch tool for making collar pins) commissioned the building in 1907. Most space was rented to other small jewelry companies. In 1909, an eighth floor was added and the building was expanded to the south. The load-bearing brick walls are reduced in depth as they go up, “slow burning” heavy timber beams carry the floors, and fire escapes have been added to comply with codes. The Doran family sold the building in 1966. In 1979 it was subdivided into condominiums.