Market House was built by many hands beginning in 1775. Black laborers were essential in
this work, beginning with site preparation, masonry, material-gathering and more throughout
the whole process. Pero Paget, Thomas Shoemaker and Pomp Smith all made signifi cant
contributions of labor. Once it opened, Black entrepreneurs worked the market stalls inside
and out, including free Black butcher George Thomas and George McCarty, a native of
Montserrat who ran a refreshment stand.