The Phenix Iron Foundry had a national monopoly on producing machines for dying, bleaching and print works, which supported the textile industry. Founded in 1830, it first had a shop on the waterfront on Elm Street, which was demolished in 1903 after having been purchased by the Narragansett Lighting Company. This machine shop of 1848 is 2 ½ stories high, with gables on both ends and heavy random-ashlar walls. Perhaps most memorable are the three round arch freight doors on each side, with heavy granite sills. The original sash windows have survived.