The Narragansett Electric Company Power Station was built in stages between 1912 and 1952. An excellent example of early 20th-century power plant design, it burned coal to provide electrical power to the city. It was gradually replaced by the more modern nearby Manchester Street Station and was decommissioned in 1995. From 2013–17, Brown University, the University of Rhode Island (URI) and Rhode Island College (RIC)
redeveloped the station into a URI/RIC nursing school and administrative offices, with a new parking structure and the River House student housing structure (architects: Spagnolo, Gisness & Associates) on its southeastern corner.