In 1887, Alida Sprague Whitmarsh and Harriet Richards formed the Mt. Pleasant Working Girls Club & Library (later Sprague House) to train and support young Irish women working in the mills. In 1910, they occupied part of the house to work in this crowded immigrant neighborhood, reforming as Federal Hill House in 1914. Settlement houses provided medical and food aid, language classes, and skills training to immigrants trying to navigate a new country. Early emphasis was on assimilation, but sensitivity to native cultures developed over time. Federal Hill House has a 130-year tradition of providing community and support to thousands of city residents, both newly arrived and native born.