While we certainly want everyone to stay longer, sometimes there’s only a few hours to make a quick pit stop in The Creative Capital. For those on the go, here are 17 things you can do in Providence in one afternoon.
- Head up to Federal Hill for a leisurely lunch in one of the country’s top Little Italys.
- Grab some provisions at Eastside Marketplace and take a stroll along Blackstone Boulevard.
- Providence is the birthplace of the diner. Pay homage by chowing down at the West Side Diner.
- Pick up a homemade hot dog or sausage at Chez Pascal’s “Wurst Window” and eat it in lovely Lippitt Park.
- Stroll the nation’s oldest indoor shopping center, the ornate and airy Arcade Providence.
- Pay homage to Providence’s favorite writer and find H.P. Lovecraft’s grave in gorgeous Swan Point Cemetery.
- Take a walking tour of one of Providence’s historic neighborhoods, using one of our guides.
- Hit the water. Glide through the rivers of Providence in a gondola, learn a little something on the Providence River Boat, or burn off lunch with Providence Kayak Company.
- Bring the kids or be a kid at the Providence Children’s Museum.
- Shop like a local in fashion-forward neighborhoods like Hope Street, Wayland Square and Westminster Street.
- Feel the summer warmth any time of year at the Roger Williams Park Zoo's new Faces of the Rainforest exhibit.
- Marvel at the exhaustive and expansive collection at the RISD Museum.
- Grab a beer at local landmark The Hot Club, made famous in the movie “There’s Something About Mary.”
- Pick up a pick-me-up with a sweet treat from the iconic Scialo Bros. Bakery.
- Zip around town with any of the bikes available throughout the city.
- Stand tall above the Providence skyline with a cocktail at the Rooftop at the Providence G.
- Pick up a souvenir from your quick trip at the GoProvidence Visitor Center.